1. That you needed more than one shade of blusher. Or really, that you need more than one of quite a few things really! However, I'm now a self-confessed blusher collector, my favourites being my Nars, Dior and Benefit Blushes and I reach for these regularly. I just never really thought that having more than one blush was 'necessary' but neither did I know you could have so much make up. Having my blog, reading other peoples blogs and watching Youtube videos has definitely widened my make up collection and I can't say I don't love it. Why have one shade of blush when there are so many pinks, reds, corals and all make me feel or look good in a different way. Girls, eh?
2. What Real Techniques brushes were. To be honest, before I got into blogging and Youtube, I owned two brushes; one for eyeshadow and one for all face powders. I didn't really know that there were different brushes for each part of your face and different parts of your eye. Now, I can't apply my foundation without a brush and my daily routine includes at least 4 different brushes, even for the simplest of looks. I'm so glad that I discovered brushes, I really couldn't go back to only owning two now! Also, I was embarrassingly unaware you had to wash make up brushes... I now wash mine deeply once a month and even do my mums on the odd occasion! I'm currently lusting over Zoeva brushes so I will let you know when they're added to my collection!
3. The importance of skincare. I just used to use make up wipes and face scrub in the shower. No micellar waters, no oils, no moisturizer! Seriously! Now I use all three and my skin looks and feels so much better for it, not to mention how much better it makes your make up look if you simply look after your skin! I'm still not a high-end skincare girl and although I lust over so many items I just find lots of drugstore products do the job pretty well. Perhaps that's another thing I will look back on!
4. There are so many brands. I've been to Boots and I've been to Superdrug and I knew about Dior and Chanel and the ones that have really made a name for themselves in both the beauty and the fashion world. But I had never visited the beloved Space NK. Shock, I know. I didn't even know what it was until I started watching YouTube and even when I heard it for the first few times, I thought it was a make up brand. What a rookie. Now my dad and I sometimes pop in and it is a whole new world of brands. Admittedly, I can't afford to spend all my money on brands sold in Space NK and nor do I think it is completely necessary, although a girl can browse, right? But I have learnt the ins-and-outs of brands while reading blogs and learn a new one at least twice a month. It's a big world out there.
5. That I loved beauty and fashion so much. If I think about it, and I'm sure other people would agree, I've always had an interest or a soft spot for beauty. I would always be interested in what other people had in their make up bags and what skincare they were using, mixing up all my different hair products to make it all smooth and playing about with a couple of bits. However, never before had I owned more than one foundation, blush, bronzer or mascara at any one time, nor did I spend so much on make up and head to the shops especially to hunt down gels, creams, clothes, jewellery, perfume and brushes to try out for myself. It's also made me realize how much I love writing about it as I've always loved writing as well and it's something I can see myself keeping up for a long time. So, I guess I've also learnt something about myself!
Looking back on how 'clueless' I was before kind of makes me cringe, but I'm sure there are a couple of things you didn't know before you started reading blogs! I hope you've enjoyed this! If you would also like to do it, leave a link to your version of it down below. Maybe I will find myself thinking 'oh god me too!' because really before, I had no idea!